AFTER the recordings on social networks showing dissatisfaction, tension and bad living conditions of workers from Vietnam, the Chinese car tire factory “Linglong” in Zrenjanin and their announcement of work stoppage, the situation in front of the workers’ barracks seemed calm yesterday.
Numerous workers circulated on bicycles, went shopping …
“Everything is OK, no problem,” the younger Vietnamese told us.
He was barefoot, without socks, only in slippers and when asked if he was cold, he waved his hand as if everything was fine.
It is not possible to enter the dilapidated barracks, security workers from Zrenjanin have been controlling the access since a few days ago, noting that the movement of the Vietnamese is not restricted and that they are very diligent, and that when they are not on the construction site they go by bicycle to the city.
– There is a kitchen for them, they prepare food, and something is delivered – said a worker employed in a nearby trade warehouse, noting that he did not get the impression of slave-owning pressure and system.
That the situation is like that and that it is regularly controlled, they confirmed from the competent ministry, denying the comments of certain organizations and individuals, that people are oppressed and live in inhumane conditions.
Nervousness and pressure from various associations, which justifiably or unjustifiably warn the public about irregularities to which workers are exposed on the construction site, as well as the potential environmental risk of the new plant, which is rapidly sprouting on one hundred hectares of land on the outskirts of Zrenjanin, remain present. that the situation in the barracks where Vietnamese workers have returned to normal.
– That one Vietnamese who rebelled, as far as I hear, got his passport and salary and will be returned home, the others continued to work – says a worker in a warehouse, which is close to Vietnamese barracks, denying insinuations that there were alleged Chinese and Vietnamese workers and that something like that actually stirred up the situation and moved the public.
– A lot of people were near the construction site in these two days, there was tension and nervousness, but everything is calm now – the security worker confirmed to us.
A skinned rabbit or cat, a deer in a trap, and numerous chimneys that sprout, are just some of the current everyday topics and dilemmas, with panicky remarks, which the Chinese and Vietnamese bring us, and they, regardless of the cold, ride their bikes, smiling , wave and are at work regularly.
The management of the Chinese investor, the company “Linglong”, issued a statement stating that they do not have employees from Vietnam in their employment.
– The company “Linglong” is a completely separate legal entity from the contractors with which it cooperates, and the only obligation of “Linglong” towards its contractors is to pay them compensation for the work performed under the contract – it is stated in the announcement of the company “Linglong”, noting that Vietnamese workers in Zrenjanin hired by the company TEPC, which is one of the contractors for the construction of the factory.
– The contractor was required to temporarily move the Vietnamese workers to another better accommodation as soon as possible, and after the permanent accommodation plan is formed, the workers will be accommodated in facilities with much better conditions. We also received information from the contractor that the passports had been returned to the Vietnamese workers.
JACKETS AND SOCKS
ACTIVISTS of the Zrenjanin Social Forum gave the Vietnamese jackets and socks, which, as they themselves emphasized, they need the most. Some other citizens and organizations joined the action.
Follow us through iOS and android apps