RAKA Radović (70), certainly the most famous politician from Trstenik, who gained fame in the 1990s with specific appearances as a republican and federal MP, has been processing fruits and vegetables in recent years. He has been retired for five years, but he spends those days working in his Počekovina. In that village, where he has lived since the age of eight, he and his son Dušan have had a company for canning fruits and vegetables for a whole decade.
Thousands and thousands of jars of pickles, peppers, cauliflower, mixed salads or compotes of cherries, plums and blackberries come out of their plant every day. As he tells us, they used to make jam from wild strawberries, blackberry and plum jams, but now only to order.
– People today eat less sweet, many people suffer from diabetes, it does not sell very well, so we make very little of this sweet program, but mostly this sour – says Raka. – We work successfully, although the costs are high, and the prices are not, so the earnings are not high either, but we live from it. We do not complain. We process about 400,000 kilograms of vegetables a year. We grow a smaller amount ourselves, but we buy about 90 percent.
Raka has always been perceived as a man of the people, perhaps because he never gave up his racist pronunciation, so as such he still gets up at dawn. He says at work from four in the morning when he starts heating the pasteurization boilers and works until he finishes, sometimes it happens until ten in the evening:
– In recent years, my son Dušan has taken over most of the work, so I am here more as an intervention unit, I intervene when something goes wrong on the machine, and the machines work all the time, so you always need something around them. Although his son, who is a mechanical engineer, does a good job.
Dušan lives in the house together with his parents and, as Raka tells us, they are waiting for him to get married.
– He is 30 years old, it’s his time, I got married at 26. He did not schedule the wedding, and we in the house should neither ask nor ask, we are all in a dilemma – laughing, Raka tells us. – My daughters are economists, they do their job and one is in Belgrade, and the other is married in Trstenik and has three children. And my wife Nada, like me, is retired. She enjoys it. He makes coffee for the workers. One morning in the yard, I’m pulling a palette of cucumbers, and she pushes, when there’s my brother Jezda, she shouts: “Is this the morning gym for pensioners!”
His grandchildren, says Raka, often come from Trstenik, so they do math together, and play a bit of basketball:
– Classic campaigns. When the control is in mathematics, they run to you with a notebook, and this way they don’t think about the exercise book. I explain, and if they want, let them learn. I keep telling them you are teaching math to develop logic, and then everything will come by itself. Knowledge enters only through a pen, and then a computer can.
Although he has been a member of the Serbian Progressive Party for several years, because, as he emphasizes, he was expelled from the SPS a long time ago, some new kids came, Raka Radović tells us that he is no longer politically engaged in Trstenik.
– I left the Municipality in 2010 and started my own company. I don’t go to the polls anymore, there are younger ones. I only get hired if I need a performance on these local televisions, then I’m here to “beat” someone. I was almost on the show with one who wants to give him power. Listen to give it to him ?! Man won it in the election.
PEOPLE GOT AWAY BECAUSE OF THE VIRUS
RADOVIĆ tells us that lately, the people have become quite distant due to the corona epidemic, people only meet when they have to, so there are no more gatherings like before.
– Many people have died from the crown in this area. The people are therefore scared and worried. To me, thank God, health serves me well. They come from the side when the harvest is over, and then I would grab it by the scruff of the neck. This is what “when you dig, there is no priest, and when you drink pop two” – the popular Raka Radović ends the conversation with laughter and in his own style.
Follow us through iOS and android apps