THE PRESIDENT of Serbia, Aleksandar Vučić, met today in Belgrade with the President of Slovenia, Borut Pahor. After the meeting, Vučić and Pahor addressed the public.
– I think we have very good relations with Slovenia – said Vučić.
We talked about the situation in the region – said Vučić.
– We spoke openly about all the problems in the region, which are not small, I introduced President Pahor with the “Open Balkans” initiative. Relations between Serbia and Slovenia are extremely new, but you can always do better and more. Thanks to President Pahor for coming to Belgrade. We want even closer and better cooperation – Vucic added.
Address by Borut Pahor
– President Vučić started with a statement on bilateral relations, and I want to emphasize that at the beginning. I remembered my first visits to Belgrade in 2009, and later in 2010, when the normalization of relations with Serbia began. I can say that the cooperation is excellent, which makes me happy, because it is important for both countries and stability in the region.
We are talking with Vučić about the European perspective of the Western Balkans. As Vučić said, I have always been committed to the entry of the people of the Western Balkans into the EU.
As you know, I warned that in my estimation, the connection process is too slow.
Both sides have a lot to do here than has been done in previous years. Here, Vučić and I agree, if the EU opens its doors to the countries in the region, that thought of changing the borders would no longer exist.
Answers to questions from media representatives
Pahor said, answering questions from journalists, that distrust in the region has deepened in recent years, and that he was surprised that the European Union does not know how to respond to this situation.
Personally, I will do everything to find greater understanding in Brussels for resolving bilateral and multilateral issues – says Pahor.
Speaking about the opening of the chapter, Vučić stated that in Europe they say that we have fulfilled everything, and whether we will open the clusters – “God knows it himself”.
Vučić: I have no intention of flattering
– I have no intention of flattering and licking myself, if you want to open clusters for us – great, thank you. If you won’t – great, thanks. It is up to us to improve the economy, and Serbia is growing the fastest in Europe – says Vučić.
Asked whether he talked with Pahor about why the EU is silent on the statements of Albanian officials on the formation of a greater Albania, Vucic said that Brussels should take a minute and a half to react to such statements, but there are no reactions.
– If we had mentioned the formation of a greater Serbia once, they would have hanged me in Brussels, but when a greater Albania is mentioned, that is fine, it is only by the way – says Vučić.
Vučić: Gazelle was blocked by 70 people on one side and 50 on the other
When it comes to protests and blocking of the highway, Vučić says that by violating freedom of movement, the Constitution is also violated.
– They endanger more freedoms of other people, they did not even announce protests, even when the police asked them not to do that. That is certainly a small number of people, and they brag when the biggest demonstrations are, and that is 3,000 people. The gazelle was blocked on one side by 70 people and on the other by 50 people. And 2 million people live in Belgrade – says Vučić.
I thank Pahor, Slovenia has always had good will and was a good partner to Serbia – said Vučić.
Pahor: Statements on changing borders threaten peace
– Statements on changing the borders endanger peace and security in the Western Balkans. I have said many times that this deepens my concern. Everything that we have witnessed in recent years must worry everyone who is interested in peace. The only answer to the growth of nationalism is EU enlargement. The European Union also has a responsibility to dedicate much more to it than it does today – Pahor concluded at the end of his address.
Follow us through iOS and android apps