AFTER a brief lull, the pressure on Serbia to impose sanctions on Russia has increased to the maximum: European officials asked President Aleksandar Vučić in New York that our country join the EU’s policy towards Moscow in the coming months and threatened to withdraw foreign investors and shut down factories if this did not happen. .
The new – bare demands and expectations were delivered on Tuesday, at the working lunch that EU High Representative Đozep Borelj organized for the leaders of the Western Balkans on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly.
– The EU is one of the key and strategic partners of Serbia, but on this occasion the topic of introducing sanctions against the Russian Federation was repeated. I tried to explain Serbia’s position, which is both consistent and difficult, but for us the only possible one, because Serbia continues to lead an independent policy in accordance with the principles of international law – Vučić pointed out after the meeting.
Prime Minister Ana Brnabić stated yesterday that Serbia is under greater pressure than ever, in two directions:
– Those pressures refer to two points, one is to introduce sanctions on Russia, so that it can be said that there is no country in Europe that has not done so, and the second is the final solution on Kosovo and Metohija. However, such pressures on the president and our country can only be counterproductive, because the greater they are, the more Serbia is moving away from what it wants to achieve with those pressures – said Brnabić.
Borelj’s cabinet announced that at the informal lunch with regional leaders, the main topic was the global and regional impact of “Russia’s illegal and unprovoked war against Ukraine.” It was stated that it was considered how to jointly solve the harmful consequences of this war on food and energy prices and stability and security in Europe and globally.
Ognjen Karanović, from the Center for Social Stability, points out that the circle of Western politics based on the principle “who is not with us, is against us” will increasingly tighten around Serbia, but he also believes that the reach of such a strategy will be small:
– The West also cares that Serbia joins the ranks of countries that foster anti-Russian hysteria and joins sanctions against Moscow. Behind those pressures are hidden their real intentions when it comes to the Western Balkans and relations with Serbia. It is obvious that numerous geopolitical hotspots are opening and that is why they accelerated the story regarding Kosovo. Because how can they explain to their public why they are so vigorously protecting the territorial integrity of Ukraine, while in the case of Serbia they are doing the complete opposite. That’s why they want to pressure Serbia to recognize Kosovo. However, those pressures will not bear fruit and will come up against the wall of wise statesmanship and diplomacy of Vučić, who does not react to political pressures in the way that is desirable for them. Of course, these pressures can cause serious security and political problems.
Dejan S. Miletić, from the Center for the Study of Globalization, tells “Novosti” that the pressure on Serbia will increase as the situation regarding the Ukrainian-Russian conflict worsens:
– Our country resists requests to join the sanctions. So far, the people who lead the country have shown great responsibility in critical moments, and every move was the result of serious assessments and analysis of what is gained or lost by each specific decision. We should trust the state that it will act like this in the future as well, that it will know how to stand up and support it, and not complicate things with a fan and political approach.
KURTI’S FIG LEAF
WHEN the pressure on Serbia increases from the western centers of power, Aljbin Kurti, the prime minister of the temporary institutions in Pristina, announces himself as “on command”, threatening “new conflicts in the region” for which, according to him, Belgrade will be responsible. The director of the Office for Kosovo and Metohija, Petar Petković, reacted to Kurti’s latest statements, who said that it is the prime minister of a fake state who wants to set the Western Balkans on fire by causing tensions and crises in Kosovo:
– Kurti only has conflicts in his head, not dialogue, compromise. Instead of forming the Union of Serbian Municipalities, for which the Serbs have been waiting for 10 years, he is building illegal bases in the north of the province, on land stolen from the Serbs, in front of the eyes of the international community. His true intention is to encircle the Serbs in the north of the province, which he will not be able to do. And he uses the situation in Ukraine as a fig leaf to hide and justify his nefarious intentions.
Follow us through the iOS and Android apps