In addition to being worried about our son Nemanja (19), who is still recovering from his injuries, we are also worried about the safety of all of us, because the father of the young man who recently wounded our son with a knife is going around the village and intimidating witnesses. He threatens us that if we don’t withdraw the lawsuit, he will evict us.
With these words, Milena Mitrović (36), the mother of the recently attacked Serbian young man from Baba’s Most in the municipality of Obilić, describes the situation in which her family finds itself, and because of the threats to which they are exposed, the Kosovo police are constantly on duty in front of Mitrović’s house.
– It is not at all pleasant when you are in these circumstances. The police follow us even when we go to the field – this woman, mother of three more children, Milica (17), Stefan (14) and Vuk (13), adds worriedly. Worried mostly about her children, she recalls that the attack on her eldest son took place on September 12, when two young Albanians attacked him in front of the cafe, and one of them wounded him with a knife, as well as her husband Saša, who came to his son’s aid.
– Nemanja is still under stress and is currently in Mitrovica with a relative, but we are no longer even sure if we can bring him to the village. Because we are really afraid for his life, especially since that Albanian attacked him before – adds this woman, who is also worried about her three other children. That is why it reminds of the incident from 2015 when unknown Albanians from a black jeep on the street in front of the house tried to kidnap their daughter Milica.
– She is now a fourth-year student of the advanced department of the Medical School in Plemetina, while her younger sons attend school here in the village. However, because of all the stress and everything we are going through, classes started only a few days ago. – Milena says that because of the recent attack, they also neglected the work related to agriculture, from which they live and support their children. The paprika they own on eighty acres of land and from which they live is sold to them by friends and relatives.
– It’s as if our life has stopped. And the essence of the attack on our son is an attempt to force us to move out. Because we are literally the last Serbian house in the village with more children, because then the Albanians leave. Their plan is therefore to force us to move out in order to continue expanding further – explain the Mitrovićs, who also experienced a severe tragedy in 1999, when Albanians on the way from Merdar to Podujevo kidnapped Sasha’s father, who they literally massacred.
About 250 Serbian households with about 800 inhabitants live in the village of Babina Most in the so-called central part of Kosmet, not far from the road Pristina – Mitrovica. They are, as the locals tell us, a kind of “link” between the Serbs from central Kosmet and the north, and they are the first Serbian village going from Merdar to Mitrovica. – Almost all the locals are engaged in agriculture here, while most of the people were employed in Elektroprivreda because of the proximity to Obilić. My husband also used to go to the field, but now because of this situation he didn’t go – adds Milena.
And while they explain that the Albanian whose son attacked Nemanja is pressuring them to withdraw the lawsuit filed by their lawyer, the Mitrovics say they won’t do it because that attack is an attack on all Serbs in the village.
– Although the public prosecutor did not characterize the attack as an attempted murder, which it is because our son was wounded with a knife, the complaint has already been forwarded to the police, and as we heard, the American embassy in Pristina was also involved in the consideration of that complaint – Mitrovići tell us, who are still worried for the safety of children.
Follow us through the iOS and Android apps