The MESSAGE that Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić sent to the leaders at the United Nations General Assembly – that the defense of international law, which has been cruelly trampled on by the great powers, is the only lifeline for the survival of small states and the last bulwark against the collapse of the planetary order – should be sobering for the great part of the planet, but also a strong asset in the continuation of our fight for Kosovo and Metohija.
“Novosti” interlocutors point out that, in a rhetorical sense, Vučić also placed a mirror behind the UN lectern in which the hypocritical and arrogant position of the largest Western powers is clearly reflected, while they are frantically fighting for respect for international law and the UN Charter in the case of Ukraine, and they are brutally stepped on in the case of Serbia. They also expect that after the address of the Serbian president, new withdrawals of the recognition of Kosovo will follow.
On the East River, Vučić stated the devastating truth that almost everyone is only taking care of their own interests, often trampling on the principles on which the UN rests, that no one listens to anyone and does not strive for real agreements.
– From many speakers we heard stories about aggression and violation of the territorial integrity of Ukraine, many say that it is the first conflict on European soil since the Second World War. It is true that for the first time the integrity of a country in Europe was violated when Serbia was attacked, without attacking any other sovereign country. It is persistently hushed up. We are looking for a clear answer to the question that I have been asking my interlocutors, the leaders of many countries, for years – what is the difference between the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine and the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Serbia, which has been grossly violated, and to which many of you give international recognition and legitimacy? I have never received a rational answer to that question from anyone – said President Vučić.
State Secretary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nemanja Starović, pointed out that Vučić mentioned an important point, namely that before him, 23 leaders of different countries who defended the territorial integrity of Ukraine spoke at the UN General Assembly, and that even 17 of them came from countries that brutally violated the territorial integrity of Serbia.
– Vučić had no illusions that in this way he could change the attitudes of some powerful and large countries, but it was very important to do so because the UN General Assembly represents the largest forum of world diplomacy in which representatives of 193 countries that are full members of the UN participate. It was very important in this clear and effective way to strengthen the position of the countries that respect the territorial integrity of Serbia, and they represent a convincing majority in the UN General Assembly, but also to point out those who made some, from our perspective, wrong decisions in previous years in order to those decisions could be reconsidered – said Starović.
He presented the information that until 2017 there were more than 110 countries that recognized the unilaterally declared independence of Kosovo and Metohija, of which 26 withdrew recognition of Kosovo in previous years. Starović also said that Serbia is under two types of pressures – pressures related to the desire of most of the political West to somehow legitimize or recognize the unilaterally declared independence of Kosovo and Metohija and pressures to join the regime of sanctions against Russia.
HAD MORE VIEWS THAN GREEN
WHAT kind of impression was made by President Vučić’s speech at the UN General Assembly is best evidenced by the fact that his speech had more views on the official channel of the world organization than the speech of Ukrainian leader Vladimir Zelensky, who for days was thunderously announced as the “main star” of the session. It is obvious that Vučić’s theses are based on the view that the defense of international law, which has been cruelly trampled on by the great powers, is the only lifeline for the survival of small states and the last bulwark against the collapse of the planetary order, was well received by viewers around the world. His sincere speech, in which he also reminded of the hypocrisy of the West, which twice brutally violated the territorial integrity of Serbia, while at the same time taking care of the integrity of Ukraine, caused a barrage of positive comments. In addition, his views expressed on the East River were retweeted on “Twitter” by many popular American bloggers.
The former head of diplomacy, Vladislav Jovanović, says for “Novosti” that Vučić revived the problem that the West wanted to put under the ashes – aggression against Serbia that was not approved by the Security Council and as such was a crime against peace. :
– Vučić reminded the world that the real defenders of international law are not big powers, but small states, for which the condition of survival is precisely the fight for respect for international law. He pointed out that the Kosovo case is sui generis, which like the sword of Damacles stands over everyone, because the Western powers can use it at any time for their imperial goals and destroy any country. It is also a public appeal to many countries to refuse to recognize Kosovo, perhaps even more energetically than before, or to withdraw that decision if they have done so.
AN INSTRUCTIVE EXAMPLE OF THE SOCIETY OF NATIONS
OUR interlocutors point to another important aspect of Vučić’s address to the UN, namely the dangers that have loomed over this organization. They say that the president gave support to the UN, which is under great pressure, and the question is, if these problems are not solved, will it even be a relevant factor in the times to come. Former diplomat Zoran Milivojević pointed out that one of the key points of the Serbian president’s speech is to preserve the international order based on the UN Charter, because it is the only mechanism that works and should be preserved. Milivojević said that the history of 100 years ago, when the League of Nations disappeared, should not be allowed to repeat itself.
Retired ambassador Branko Branković also points to the importance of Vučić’s address to the UN at this moment, which is extremely important for the issue of Kosovo:
– Vučić’s question about how you don’t recognize Donbas, but you have recognized Kosovo, hits the mark. I expect that it has a special resonance in the countries of Latin America, Africa and Asia, which are under pressure to recognize Kosovo or are considering changing the decision made earlier. The Serbian president has once again exposed the dangerous hypocrisy of the West, and I expect that in the coming period there will be a new wave of recognition of Kosovo, regardless of the fact that the USA will continue to put pressure on those countries, because now they have arguments in their hands – don’t let us recognize Donbas, and you are asking to recognize Kosovo.
Sociologist and professor of the Faculty of Philosophy, Vladimir Vuletić, assessed yesterday that President Vučić spoke at the UN General Assembly first and foremost as a serious politician who points out what the real problems are.
– Vučić cautiously, in a diplomatic manner, condemned the intervention in Ukraine, but, on the other hand, he also condemned all those who want to view the cases of Serbia and Ukraine differently. This refers to those who demand respect for the territorial integrity of Ukraine, without at the same time recognizing the territorial integrity of Serbia.
EUROPEAN POWERS VIOLATED TWO INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTS THE IMPLEMENTATION OF WHICH THEY GUARANTEED, WHICH WERE INITIALED IN 2013 AND TWO YEARS LATER
THE WEST TRAPPED THE BRUSSELS AND MINAS AGREEMENTS AND PROVED THAT THE AGREEMENTS ARE NOT RESPECTED AT ALL
The Minsk and Brussels agreements are evidence that international agreements are not respected, regardless of the fact that they were signed by representatives of major world powers, and that there are no longer any solid guarantees that what was agreed upon will be fulfilled.
During the session of the General Assembly of the United Nations, this thesis was represented by the Russian delegation led by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Sergey Lavrov. Namely, Moscow is of the opinion that there would be no intervention in Ukraine if everything agreed on paper had been implemented on the ground. In the Minsk Agreement, which was signed in 2015, with the participation of Germany, France, Russia and Ukraine, it was stated that the issue of a special status for Donbas should be resolved, which includes the right to speak in their Russian language, to have their own local police that would provide public first and third, the right to hear them when prosecutors and judges are appointed and on special economic relations with the Russian Federation. None of the above is fulfilled.
And, before the adoption of this agreement, in 2013, Europe initialed the Brussels Agreement between Belgrade and Pristina, which implies the establishment of the Union of Serbian Municipalities, which has not been formed even today. The European Union did not have the credibility to convince Kyiv and Pristina to implement what was agreed upon.
President Aleksandar Vučić said that “Minister Lavrov came out with a thesis – linking the Minsk and Brussels agreements”.
– He says that this is happening in Ukraine due to non-compliance with the mine agreements, thus providing some support to Serbia because of what was not fulfilled by the Brussels agreement – specified Vučić.
Former diplomat Vladislav Jovanović points out that since Roman times, the rule has been in force that everything agreed upon should be fulfilled:
– However, we are now witnessing that the political West, as a mediator and guarantor of various agreements, often acts crazy when it comes to the implementation of the agreement. Thus, in the case of the Minsk agreement, the West systematically avoided fulfilling the agreements and encouraged and prepared the Ukrainian government to intervene by force in the Donbass.
Follow us through the iOS and Android apps